Dr. Les Zendle was elected by voters (with over 23,000 votes on November 8, 2016) to the Desert Healthcare District Board of Directors.
Created in 1948, the Desert Healthcare District’s original mission was to provide hospital services to residents of Desert Hot Springs, Thousand Palms, Palms Springs, Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert. The District Board was responsible for building Desert Hospital (now Desert Regional Hospital, which since 1997 has been leased and run by Tenet Corporation). Today, with an annual operating budget of roughly $9 million, the District pursues its mission through grants and other programs to enhance the health of its residents — especially those underserved by our current healthcare system.
“The Desert Healthcare District is an important organization that makes significant investments in the health of our community’s health,” Zendle wrote on his website. :We need to invest our resources wisely to improve access to health services (especially mental health) for residents with and without health insurance. We also must promote community and personal health education.”
Les (who along with his husband Jerry Hanson have been BCC members since 1981) was president of BCC from 1988 to 1990. They moved to Palm Springs in 2006.