Honoring Rabbi Lisa and Lezbtzn Tracy – A nostalgic look
As we prepare to say goodbye to Rabbi Lisa Edwards as Beth Chayim Chadashim’s spiritual leader after 25 years of dedicated and inspirational service to our community together with Lezbtzn Tracy Moore, BCC will be taking a nostalgic look back at special parts of its memorable history as one way we are honoring Rabbi Lisa and Tracy. These nostalgic remembrances will be brief presentations during many of the Friday evening Shabbat services from now until the end of June.
Upcoming scheduled presentations include the following:
- April 26: BCC member and former BCC President Brett Trueman will speak about his vision for a new building and the capital campaign, which resulted in the purchase of our new home at 6090 Pico Blvd.
- May 3: BCC member Bracha Yael will speak on the telephone minyan and its evolution into BCC Live.
- May 10: BCC member and former BCC President Lauren Schlau will speak about hiring Rabbi Lisa in 1994 as Lauren was on the Rabbinical Search Committee at that time.
- May 17: BCC member Steven Hochstadt will speak about BCC’s Tzedakah Council on which Steve played such a major and foundational role.
- May 24: BCC member Ira Dankberg will speak about building our 6090 Pico Blvd spiritual home on which Ira took the architectural lead.
- May 31: BCC member Mark Katz will speak on the topic of BCC’s Jewish response to the AIDS crisis through the formation in 1986 of Nechama (Hebrew for “Comfort”) , which eventually grew into Project Chicken Soup.
- June 14: Former BCC member Mark Hunter will speak about the purchase in 1977 of BCC’s first building at 6000 Pico Blvd. Mark was BCC’s real estate agent at the time.
- June 28: BCC member Stephen Sass will speak about our Shoah Survivor Torah scroll and its connection with former honorary member, Olga Grilli, z’’l.
Several additional speakers are planned and will be scheduled in the near future. We hope you will come to Shabbat services and be present for these cherished BCC remembrances.